- Rinse the lentils well, and simmer them in a pan of water for 40 minutes with the seaweed, cumin, coriander and turmeric powders. Top the water up as required.
- Loosely grind the cumin and fennel seeds so that they are broken open but not powdered.
- In a separate pan, heat the ghee or oil and fry the cumin, fennel and mustard seeds over a high heat until brown and releasing a delicious smell. You’ll know they’re ready when the mustard seeds start to pop.
- Add the ginger and asafoetida, along with the onions and garlic and fry until the onion is soft.
- Pour the onion, oil and spice mixture into the lentil mixture. It should ‘hisssss’. Add a pinch of salt and the fresh coriander. Coconut milk or yoghurt can also be added if desired, to give a creamier texture.